"in the pocket of Saudi Arabia"

Группа сенаторов сегодня встретилась с директором ЦРУ, Gina Haspel, которая информировала их об обстоятельствах убийства Хашогги и роли MBS в этом убийстве.

C.I.A. Briefing on Khashoggi Solidifies Senators’ View of Prince Mohammed’s Complicity

Нас, конечно, интересуют мнения республиканских сенаторов. Этот твит Kaitlan Collins хоорошо суммирует текущее положение:
The administration is now firmly at odds with Republicans on MBS and Khashoggi.

Trump: "Maybe he did and maybe he didn't!"
Mattis: "No smoking gun."
Pompeo: "No direct reporting."

Graham: "There's a smoking saw."
Corker: "If he was in front of a jury, he would be convicted."
Несколько более развернутых цитат сенаторов-республиканцев.

Richard Shelby, Republican of Alabama and the Appropriations Committee chairman:
All evidence points to that, that all this leads back to the crown prince.
Bob Corker:
I have zero question in my mind that the crown prince, MBS, ordered the killing, monitored the killing, knew exactly what was happening, planned it in advance. If he was in front of a jury he would be convicted in 30 minutes: guilty.

So, the question is: what do we do about that?

So far, it's unfortunate, but I think they feel like this is something that come and pass, because the administration has not spoken to this in a way that... They've spoken to it in a manner that really gives them immunity, and so what the message is to him and around him: you can go around killing journalists, countries like the United States can know beyond shadow of a doubt that you killed the journalist [...]

So, the message we've sent to them is one that will cause him to continue on the path that he is on and I'm sure other actors in the region will take note of that.
И вот самое главное, пожалуй, из того, что сказал Грэм:
As to Pompeo and Mattis, I have great respect for them... I would imagine if they were in a Democratic administration I would be all over them for being in the pocket of Saudi Arabia but since I have such respect for them I’m going to assume that they’re being good soldiers...